My name is Anna and I am passionate about the cards presenting female deities from all over the world.
The images and myths about goddesses have been present in my life since early childhood. A couple of years ago I came across the decks of goddesses oracle cards. The images were beautiful and there was a short guide attached to each deck but I was searching for the texts that would provide more meanings and interpretations. I have not found any so I decided to write them myself.
When I started this blog in July 2011, my main goal was to broaden the meanings of goddess oracle cards and to explore the mythological, archetypical and symbolic layers of these incredibly powerful cards. After studying several decks, I realised I needed to create my own. Since I do not have any artistic skills, I only wrote goddesses’ names and key words on the small pieces of cartons and started to pick one daily to learn their meanings better. Soon it became clear to me that thanks to their complexity I can use my cards not only as an oracle tool but also to answer specific questions just like Tarot or runes do. I began spreading them to my friends and family, their feedback was so positive that at some point it became clear to me I should start spreading cards professionally and publish my deck which I named Land of Goddesses after my blog.
My plan is to publish the goddess deck that I have created and tested in various spreads for 6 years. The work on the graphic versions of my cards will start in March 2017, stay tuned.
While searching for the information and the myths concerning goddesses I clicked many pages and blogs concerning old religions, paganism and Wicca. Even though I agree and support the general message about the lack of spiritual and divine feminine in our culture, I do not always like the details that I find. Let me enumerate what I find discouraging and what you will not find here.
1. Despite being highly spiritual I am also very brain and logics oriented person. I do not buy just any idea that the ‘masters’ and ‘gurus’ want to sell to me. There is a lot of chit chat hidden behind ‘spiritual messages’.
2. I am tired of all that ‘Find Your Inner Goddess’ babble. In antiquity women worshipped goddesses but did not go telling everybody they were divine themselves (and if they did, it did not end up well, have a look at the myth of Niobe in the post about Artemis). Not every woman is a goddess and not each of them has to be, really! It is absolutely enough to be simply a woman, not a shrew.
In fact I observed that most people rather need to work with the opposite energy i.e. women should strengthen their male component while men would gain a lot by befriending their female side. In this way we feel balanced within and do not need to search for confirmation and acceptance in the outside world.
3. I do not always agree with the messages of goddesses presented in the decks because I always rely most on the actual myths and symbols connected with the goddesses, not on what the author of the deck wants the goddess to be like.
4. I shall not tell you to organise the circles of female witches. Feminine energy is not good by default. Feminine energy is what it is, the feminine energy. You should work on yours to make the best of it but it does not guarantee that women around will encourage and support you. Usually they will not.
5. I shall not tell you what to do nor what decision to make, I shall not suggest practising yoga or working with crystals. I shall not give you any recipes nor magical rituals to heal your life. I shall not tell to give all your problems to angels because I strongly believe that regardless of our faith in God/Higher Forces or lack of it, we all have the power to get up after the fall and to lead our lives in the directions we want. Sometimes life is just overwhelming and it would be naive to think that you can solve all your life problems with yoga and crystals only.
6. I do not like the fact that most of modern paganism is based on mercantilism. ‘Buy this lovely statue of Isis’, ‘buy this magical symbol which will bring you love’, ‘this spiritual book will provide you with recipes for success’ etc. I cannot see anything spiritual in that, these are very earthly powers! I promise I will not be trying to sell anything to you. Since November 2016 I offer card readings through Skype but this does not affect the content on the blog, you can still read it for free like before.
7. I shall not tell you to see only light around you. The world is not the place full of light, it is our natural environment therefore you should be prepared for attacks of predators and souleaters feeding on your good intentions&empathy.
8. I am neither Wiccan nor pagan myself. I do not support any religion.
9. My motto is ‘Dig deeper’ (by Horatio Caine). I try not to stay on the surface but to get to the core. Analysing myths and symbols will tell you much more about the meaning of a card that reading just a booklet or a notice on a card.
10. If you like this site and find it helpful, please leave me a comment, click ‘ Like’ under the post or share it on your social media. I write this blog because of my own inner need but any support is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
If this does not discourage you😉 then welcome to the Land of Goddesses.
And this is what I write in Introduction.